Thursday, September 20, 2007

Corn Dog Casserole

Corn Dog Casserole

4 boxes of jiffy cornmuffin mix batter (made according to package directions)
1-2 pkg. hotdogs, sliced coin style
16 oz. bag of shredded cheese--we prefer colby jack but any "orange" cheese is good
2 cans of hotdog chili

I use two 9x13 in. baking dishes. Spray the baking dishes with non-stick spray. Pour batter in bottom of the pans to cover the bottoms. Put a layer of hotdogs on the batter, spread a can of chili on top of the hotdogs. Sprinkle some cheese on top of the chili and put another layer of batter on top of the chili and top with cheese. Bake at 350 deg. F until the cheese is brown and bubbly and the batter is done....approx. 25-30 min.

**over the years I have tweaked this and now I partially cook the bottom layer of cornbread before I add the hotdogs and chili. I noticed that the inside was taking much longer to cook than I wanted and it was making the outside too brown to be appealing to my family. So now I put a layer of cornbread in the bottom of the pan and bake it for about 10 minutes, then I add the rest of the ingredients as listed above. You can do it either way.

This feeds my family of 7 with some leftovers.
We really really like this and I think it only costs approx. $4 to make when its all said and done. You can use your favorite corn bread recipe and leftover chili in it and its still good....but this is a convenience food for us and so I keep the cans and boxes in the pantry. Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.