Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fudge

This was my grandma's recipe that she has made forever. You MUST MUST MUST follow the instructions exactly!! Do NOT be tempted to use real butter. It will not work and you will waste your ingredients! Also, do NOT use a mixer. It will whip this and it will not set! Use your wooden spoon (or whatever spoon you prefer) and use your arms. My teens and I take turns stirring when I make this because my arms get so tired so fast. This recipe moves pretty quick once you get to the soft ball stage. You can't dilly dally or walk away. You need to get your ingredients into the pan quick from that point on and get this stuff stirred together and poured into the pans to cool. You don't want it starting to harden in your pot. Also, BE VERY CAREFUL! THIS STUFF IS HOT AND WILL BURN BADLY IF YOU GET IT ON YOURSELF OR SOMEONE ELSE. That said, this recipe is a lot easier than it seems and you will see that after you make it once. Its wonderful creamy yet firm fudge. The peanut butter fudge, in particular, is much requested at holiday time!



Fudge!

4 1/2 cups sugar
2 sticks of margarine--I use Imperial margarine (do NOT use real butter!! It will not turn out!!)
1 can of Milnot evaporated milk
1 tsp. salt
Put into a large cooking pot and slowly bring to a full rolling boil. While you are waiting on this to boil, butter two 9x13 in. glass baking dishes*. Once the mixture begins to boil start stirring it constantly (or it will scorch and be nasty) and boil for 10-12 minutes (until it is at soft ball stage). Remove from heat and stir in:
for peanutbutter fudge:
1 jar (18 oz.) of cruchy peanutbutter (I use Jif)

1 large bag of marshmallows (the bag that is between 15 and 18 ounces)
1 tsp. vanilla
Stir until well blended (i would say smooth but the crunchy peanut butter has chunks) and pour into the buttered pans and let cool. My grandma says that you can use peanut butter chips instead of jar peanut butter but if you do so then you will need to add about a cup more of marshmallows or the fudge will be hard.

for chocolate fudge:
1 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 bag of marshmallows (the bag that is between 15-18 ounces)
1 tsp. of vanilla
1 cup of chopped walnuts or whatever nuts you prefer (optional)
Stir till well blended and pour into the buttered pans and cool.

*You can use metal pans if you prefer...my grandma used a huge pizza/cookie sheet that had sides on it. I use the glass baking dishes because thats what I have. I gave the brand names of the products I use to make the fudge but you can use generic if you want to and the fudge will be fine....my husband and his father prefer me to use the name brand stuff as the flavor tends to be richer. I watch for sales and stock up on the name brand stuff thru out the year so that it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg at Christmas time.



For chocolate peppermint fudge you can make the above recipe and add mint extract instead of the vanilla or you can use peppermint chips in place of the chocolate chips.


No comments: