Friday, April 16, 2010

Black Beans and Rice

Black Beans and Rice


1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 tsp. butter
2 tsp. minced garlic (I buy this in a jar at the grocery)
2 tsp. minced onion (I just mince a small chunk of onion)
a shake of salt and a shake of ground black pepper

Melt butter in a small skillet. Add onion and garlic and let cook until soft. Add beans, salt & pepper and stir. Cover with lid and let simmer for about 10 min., stirring occassionally.
Serve over white rice and top with some shredded cheese (I prefer a mexican blend of shredded cheese).

How to make easy white rice:
I don't know about y'all but I struggled for years with making decent white rice. I never could get it right. It was either too hard or just mush. I finally found the right way to make basic white rice with the generic bags of rice that I buy.
Using 2 parts water to 1 part rice, bring water to boil. Add rice, give it a quick stir and bring back to boil. When it returns to a boil, cover the pan and remove it from the heat and WALK AWAY for about 10-15 min. Then come back and lift the lid and you should have fluffy wonderful rice.
I learned that STEAM is the way to make the rice light and fluffy and thats why you cover it and walk away without peeking, so that the steam will cook and soften the rice.

No comments: