Friday, April 16, 2010

My Version of MM Sandwiches

My Version of Marlboro Man Sandwiches


Over at Pioneer Woman Cook's she has a recipe she calls Marlboro Man's Favorite Sandwich. Its very good but when I make it I tweak the recipe somewhat and my family LOVES it. I get lots of requests for the recipe so I am just going to share it here.
Sheree's Sandwiches
16 hamburger patties (80/20 ground chuck)
1/2 bottle of generic steak seasoning from Save-A-Lot (and sometimes McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning--they are pretty similar)
4 sticks of butter
1 bottle of worcestershire sauce (12oz. or so)
3-4 dashes of hot sauce (Tabasco is best but Luisiana hot sauce is good too)
I slice the patties into strips and fry them in about 2 Tbsp. of butter (or margarine) and when they are done I drain them in a colander to get all the grease off. Then I put them back in the pan and I toss the strips with the steak seasoning (and yeah, I actually use 1/2 the bottle). Then I toss the butter in the pan (you can cut it into chunks, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't) and dump in the whole bottle of worcestershire sauce & the dashes of hotsauce and as the butter melts I stir it on and off and simmer it until the sauce is not cloudy any more. In the meantime, I slice and sautee an onion in butter til its clear but not browned. Then I serve them on homemade rolls. This makes enough to serve my 7 with some leftovers. Below is the bread recipe I use to make homemade rolls. I am sharing the recipe for 1 loaf but I double it for this amount of meat.
Homemade Rolls*
9 oz. warm water
1 1/2 tbsp. yeast
2 tbsp. sugar
1/3 c. powdered milk
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. butter
3 c. flour
In a large bowl dissolve the yeast in warm water & stir in the sugar. Let proof for about 5 minutes. Stir in the powdered milk, melted butter, & salt. Stir in the flour slowly and then knead until stretchy and silky. Rub dough ball with some cooking oil, cover & let rise in a warm place until double in size. Punch down, knead a few times then pinch off dough and roll into balls. I make mine about halfway between golf ball size and tennis ball size. Let rise on an pan sprayed with no-stick spray until double in size and then bake at 350 deg. F for about 20 min. or until they turn a light golden brown. Remove from oven and brush tops and sides with butter. Let cool. Slice them like hamburger buns and fill with meat filling and serve. These are awesome and the slight sweetness really REALLY sets off the flavor in these sandwiches.
* You can use this recipe in your bread machine with no problems, just put the ingredients into it in the order your machine calls for. I believe it makes a 1 lb. loaf. I used to use the bread machine just to make the dough but now I do it by hand because I double the recipe.

No comments: